This information was provided by:
1. Who is the training programme director?
Mr Kevin Wembridge
2. Please list all of the hospitals in your deanery.
Airedale General Hospital
Bradford Royal Infirmary
Calderdale Royal Hospital
Diana, Princess of Wales Hospital,
Harrogate District Hospital
Huddersfield Royal Infirmary
Hull Royal Infirmary
Leeds General Infirmary
Pinderfields General Hospital
Scarborough General Hospital
Scunthorpe General Hospital
York District Hospital
3. Where do trainees generally live?
“Most trainees live in Leeds or Wakefield.”
4. How easy is it to commute to different sites, and is there car parking available?
5. How are rotations are allocated?
“Rotations are allocated based on trainee needs. Forms are sent out twice a year allowing trainees to express preferences.”
6. Is there a trauma focussed ST3 year?
"There are at least 6 months of trauma in most cases, though this is not always possible due to the size of the large deanery and number of trainees."
7. Does the deanery offer an ST3 bootcamp or equivalent induction?
8. Is there an arthroplasty focussed ST4 year?
"Arthroplasty is generally allocated in ST3 or 4, then repeated in ST5 or 6 as needed."
9. Is there a post-exam dedicated teaching program (i.e. preparation for consultant)?
"There are free deanery courses regarding how to be consultant, but no dedicated teaching programme."
10. How often is deanery teaching?
"Every Friday afternoon."
11. Where is deanery teaching held?
"They aim for one site with the most parking available, generally Pinderfields, but occasionally this rotates elsewhere."
12. Is there an annual meeting?
13. Are there associated registrar presentations and prizes?
14. Is there an established research infrastructure for trainees?
15. What is the affiliated medical school?
Leeds Medical School & Hull York Medical School
16. What was the overall FRCS pass rate in your deanery in the last 3 years (including both parts and all attempts)?
17. Can you name any FRCS Gold Medal Winners from your deanery?
18. Are there any other interesting or important facts to mention?
"It is a large deanery with a fair amount of commuting, however the peripheral hospitals have excellent training and research opportunities. There are two large MTCs in the region (North) and a further one in Yorkshire South. "
19. Useful links:
CLINICAL TRIALS UNIT
NIHR ACADEMIC CLINICAL FELLOWSHIP
REGULAR RESEARCH MEETINGS
Easy across Easy across Only appropriate Not easy
all sites most sites in some sites at all
Car parking availability
"There are journal clubs in most trusts, but not centrally (the deanery is too big!). There is a collaborative in progress."