Vascular Surgery: North East
This information was provided by:
Ms Marta Madurska, ST4
1. Who is the training programme director?
Mr James McCaslin
2. Please list all the hospitals in your deanery (Vascular Centres)
James Cook University Hospital
Sunderland Royal Hospital
3. Please list all the hospitals which provide General Surgery rotations for Vascular trainees
University Hospital of North Durham
4. How is the deanery subdivided? Where do trainees generally live?
No subdivision of deanery
Most Trainees Live in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne and surrounding metropolis. Some live in Durham, and those working in James Cook University Hospital either commute or may live around Middlesbrough - Yarm is a popular town.
5. How easy is it to commute to different sites?
Easy across Easy across Only appropriate Not easy
all sites most sites in some sites at all
Car parking availability
6. How are rotations are allocated?
Allocated at the end of each year
Trainees can give rotation preference at ARCP
7. Is there dedicated endovascular training available?
There is a dedicated endovascular month-long IR specific block at the Freeman.
Regular timetabled endovascular lists in Sunderland.
8. How frequent is deanery teaching and where is it held?
Every 2 months
Held at rotating peripheral locations
9. Is there an established research infrastructure for trainees?
Clinical Trials Unit
Research Meetings/Presentation Days
NIHR Academic Clinical Fellow Post
10. Are there affiliated medical schools?
11. Are there any Out of Programme Opportunities available in your region?
MD, PhD posts, Deanery also offers sponsorship to the Healthcare Leadership Academy, Fellowships possible to other training centres
12. Are there currently any less than full time (LTFT) trainees in your region?
LTFT fully supported with dedicated contracts within HEENE and representation at STC.
13. Do any hospitals in the region have on-site childcare facilities?
Freeman Hospital and James Cook University Hospital have nurseries. Sunderland Royal does not, however the trust offers access to a childcare coordinator to help with childcare needs.
14. Are there any other facts about your deanery that should be mentioned?
One of the cheapest places to live in the country.