This information was provided by:
Mr Jonny Jeffery
1. Who is the training programme director?
Ms Jane Webber
2. Please list all of the hospitals in your deanery.
Great Western Hospital, Swindon
John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford
Milton Keynes University Hospital
Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford
Royal Berkshire Hospital, Reading
Stoke Mandeville Hospital
Wexham Park Hospital
3. Where do trainees generally live?
“Vast majority in Oxford, but some in Bicester, Thame and London.”
4. How easy is it to commute to different sites, and is there car parking available?
5. How are rotations are allocated?
“Varies - tend to get a few years in advance but able to change according to preference/availability. Trainees generally can give a preference.”
6. Is there a trauma focussed ST3 year?
7. Does the deanery offer an ST3 bootcamp or equivalent induction?
8. Is there an arthroplasty focussed ST4 year?
"Not particularly, but many will plan this in."
9. Is there a post-exam dedicated teaching program (i.e. preparation for consultant)?
"Thames valley leadership academy have good funded courses that are good preparation for consultant jobs."
10. How often is deanery teaching?
"Every Wednesday afternoon."
11. Where is deanery teaching held?
One central location
12. Is there an annual meeting?
13. Are there associated registrar presentations and prizes?
14. Is there an established research infrastructure for trainees?
15. What is the affiliated medical school?
16. What was the overall FRCS pass rate in your deanery in the last 3 years (including both parts and all attempts)?
17. Can you name any FRCS Gold Medal Winners from your deanery?
18. Are there any other interesting or important facts to mention?
"An excellent deanery all round. No shortage of academic and teaching opportunities and world class locally run courses such as Millers revision course, Oxford knee course and Oxford University teacher training courses. Very social group of registrars that mainly live locally in Oxford and maintain a good network for viva practice come exam time."
19. Useful links:
CLINICAL TRIALS UNIT
NIHR ACADEMIC CLINICAL FELLOWSHIP
REGULAR RESEARCH MEETINGS
Easy across Easy across Only appropriate Not easy
all sites most sites in some sites at all
Car parking availability