South East London
This information was provided by:
Mr Rasheed Rabiu, ST4
Mr Caesar Wek, ST7
1. Who is the training programme director?
Ms Diane Back and Mr Venu Kavarthapu
2. Please list all of the hospitals in your deanery.
King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust:
King’s College Hospital, Denmark hill -
Orpington Hospital, Orpington
Princess Royal University Hospital, Farnborough
Queen Mary’s Hospital, Sidcup
Guy’s & St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust:
Guy’s & St Thomas Hospital
The Evelina London Children’s hospital
Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust:
Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woolwich
University Hospital, Lewisham
Great Western Hospital, Swindon
3. Where do trainees generally live?
“Trainees generally live around South East London or within the M25.”
4. How easy is it to commute to different sites, and is there car parking available?
5. How are rotations are allocated?
“Rotations are allocated at the end of each year. Trainee's generally can give a preference."
6. Is there a trauma focussed ST3 year?
7. Does the deanery offer an ST3 bootcamp or equivalent induction?
8. Is there an arthroplasty focussed ST4 year?
9. Is there a post-exam dedicated teaching program (i.e. preparation for consultant)?
10. How often is deanery teaching?
"On average twice a month."
11. Where is deanery teaching held?
"KSS/ SE/ SW Thames combined Regional teaching. Teaching held at different sites throughout the deaneries and advertised through website: https://www.boneschool.net."
12. Is there an annual meeting?
13. Are there associated registrar presentations and prizes?
14. Is there an established research infrastructure for trainees?
15. What is the affiliated medical school?
Kings College London School of Medicine
16. What was the overall FRCS pass rate in your deanery in the last 3 years (including both parts and all attempts)?
17. Can you name any FRCS Gold Medal Winners from your deanery?
18. Are there any other interesting or important facts to mention?
"A trainee holds the Guinness world record for completing the London marathon in ski-boots.
The deanery boasts an internationally renowned Diabetic Foot Reconstruction service, internationally renowned Young Adult Hip Service, and a cerebral palsy regional specialist centre at the Evelina Children's hospital."
19. Useful links:
CLINICAL TRIALS UNIT
NIHR ACADEMIC CLINICAL FELLOWSHIP
REGULAR RESEARCH MEETINGS
Easy across Easy across Only appropriate Not easy
all sites most sites in some sites at all
Car parking availability