This information was provided by:
Mr Debashis Dass, ST6
Mr Matthew Walker, ST8
Mr Kahlan Al-Kaisi, ST5
1. Who is the training programme director?
Mr Nigel Kiely
2. Please list all of the hospitals in your deanery.
County Hospital, Stafford
Hereford County Hospital
New Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton
Princess Royal Hospital, Telford
Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt
Orthopaedic Hospital, Oswestry
Royal Shrewsbury Hospital
Royal Stoke University Hospital
Russells Hall Hospital, Dudley
Worcestershire Royal Hospital
Ysbyty Gwynedd, Bangor
3. Where do trainees generally live?
“Common areas include Shrewsbury, Stoke and Nantwich.”
4. How easy is it to commute to different sites, and is there car parking available?
5. How are rotations are allocated?
“Rotations are allocated at the end of each year. Trainee's generally can give a preference."
6. Is there a trauma focussed ST3 year?
7. Does the deanery offer an ST3 bootcamp or equivalent induction?
8. Is there an arthroplasty focussed ST4 year?
9. Is there a post-exam dedicated teaching program (i.e. preparation for consultant)?
10. How often is deanery teaching?
11. Where is deanery teaching held?
One central location
12. Is there an annual meeting?
13. Are there associated registrar presentations and prizes?
14. Is there an established research infrastructure for trainees?
15. What is the affiliated medical school?
16. What was the overall FRCS pass rate in your deanery in the last 3 years (including both parts and all attempts)?
17. Can you name any FRCS Gold Medal Winners from your deanery?
Mr Prasad Rao, Mr Rohit Singh and Mr Anuj Jaiswal
18. Are there any other interesting or important facts to mention?
"Oswestry is where the father of orthopaedics in the UK was established. The Oswestry disability index, which is commonly used in spines, was developed at the RJAH. It is also an excellent deanery for exam preparation and success, with 100% FRCS pass rate on the first attempt".
19. Useful links:
CLINICAL TRIALS UNIT
NIHR ACADEMIC CLINICAL FELLOWSHIP
REGULAR RESEARCH MEETINGS
Easy across Easy across Only appropriate Not easy
all sites most sites in some sites at all
Car parking availability