East Midlands South
This information was provided by:
Mr Prithish Narayan
1. Who is the training programme director?
Ms Clare Wildin
2. Please list all of the hospitals in your deanery.
Kettering General Hospital
Leicester General Hospital
Leicester Royal Infirmary
Lincoln County Hospital
Northampton General Hospital
Pilgrim Hospital, Boston
Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham
3. Where do trainees generally live?
“Mostly in Leicester.”
4. How easy is it to commute to different sites, and is there car parking available?
5. How are rotations are allocated?
“There are fixed blocks for paediatrics, hands and trauma. Other rotations are allocated on a credit based system with registrar rankings, i.e. harder working registrars get the jobs they want!"
6. Is there a trauma focussed ST3 year?
7. Does the deanery offer an ST3 bootcamp or equivalent induction?
8. Is there an arthroplasty focussed ST4 year?
"Depends on your rankings and block allocations, hence can vary."
9. Is there a post-exam dedicated teaching program (i.e. preparation for consultant)?
10. How often is deanery teaching?
"Every Friday afternoon 2-5pm."
11. Where is deanery teaching held?
One central location
12. Is there an annual meeting?
13. Are there associated registrar presentations and prizes?
14. Is there an established research infrastructure for trainees?
15. What is the affiliated medical school?
University of Leicester and University of Nottingham
16. What was the overall FRCS pass rate in your deanery in the last 3 years (including both parts and all attempts)?
17. Can you name any FRCS Gold Medal Winners from your deanery?
18. Are there any other interesting or important facts to mention?
"The current TPD, Ms Wildin, is extremely supportive and very approachable, which makes training a pleasure as you have someone who looks after you. Trainers are enthusiastic and motivated to help trainees. Good teaching programme with regular individual feedback."
CLINICAL TRIALS UNIT
NIHR ACADEMIC CLINICAL FELLOWSHIP
REGULAR RESEARCH MEETINGS
Easy across Easy across Only appropriate Not easy
all sites most sites in some sites at all
Car parking availability