This information was provided by:
Mr Martin Li
1. Who is the training programme director?
Mr Khalid Baloch
2. Please list all of the hospitals in your deanery.
Alexandra Hospital, Redditch
Birmingham Children's Hospital
Birmingham City Hospital
Good Hope Hospital, Birmingham
Hereford County Hospital
New Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton
Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham
Royal Orthopaedic Hospital,
Russells Hall Hospital, Dudley
Sandwell General Hospital,
Walsall Manor Hospital
Worcestershire Royal Hospital
3. Where do trainees generally live?
“Most trainees live in Birmingham. Popular areas include Harborne, Edgbaston, Moseley and Bourneville.”
4. How easy is it to commute to different sites, and is there car parking available?
5. How are rotations are allocated?
“Rotations are allocated at the end of each year. Trainee's generally can give a preference."
6. Is there a trauma focussed ST3 year?
7. Does the deanery offer an ST3 bootcamp or equivalent induction?
8. Is there an arthroplasty focussed ST4 year?
"There is not a dedicated arthroplasty year but the deanery tries their best to give early arthroplasty exposure."
9. Is there a post-exam dedicated teaching program (i.e. preparation for consultant)?
10. How often is deanery teaching?
11. Where is deanery teaching held?
One central location
12. Is there an annual meeting?
There is a meeting (Naughton Dunn) twice a year.
13. Are there associated registrar presentations and prizes?
14. Is there an established research infrastructure for trainees?
15. What is the affiliated medical school?
University of Birmingham and Aston University
16. What was the overall FRCS pass rate in your deanery in the last 3 years (including both parts and all attempts)?
17. Can you name any FRCS Gold Medal Winners from your deanery?
18. Are there any other interesting or important facts to mention?
"Very compact deanery."
19. Useful links:
CLINICAL TRIALS UNIT
NIHR ACADEMIC CLINICAL FELLOWSHIP
REGULAR RESEARCH MEETINGS
Easy across Easy across Only appropriate Not easy
all sites most sites in some sites at all
Car parking availability